I am excited to have partnered with run like a girl to offer an incredible coached week of running in costa rica. This unique excursions combines trail running in the mountains and along waterfall trails with strength and mobility classes in addition to yoga, Beach relaxation and adventure activities. we've created the perfect retreat where there is something for every trail runner.
The retreat takes place at an off the grid Eco Lodge in the mountains where you will connect deeper with yourself, the people around you and nature. Relax, unwind and disconnect as you practice yoga, relax in hammocks and listen to the sounds of nature. Excite, challenge and push yourself as we trail run to secluded waterfalls and mountain tops, climb trees and repel rocks and waterfalls.
It’s time to take that leap and join us on an epic adventure!
- Fast packing experience
- Over night stay in a high mountain hut
- Sunrise on a high mountain summit
- Running with a head lamp experience
- Expertise from Jen Segger
- Up hill and down hill technique classes
- Functional workshops for movement, stretching and strength training
- Yoga geared towards runners
- Workshops on fuelling properly and recovery
- Accommodations are at a private Eco-Lodge in the mountains
- Adventure activities to give you a chance to try a new sport
- Professional photos from Photographer
We spend 5 days at our private Eco-lodge nestled between 2 national parks in the mountains of Costa Rica, Chirripo National Park and La Amistad International Park, which is shared with Panama. You will be sleeping in a treehouse of three walls with the fourth wall open to the jungle with more stars than you can even count above. Every day you will nourish your body with home cooked, local and healthy food, drink pure natural spring water, enjoy hot showers by candle light and flush toilets with a view.
Two days follow in the beautiful, relaxed beach town of Dominical in a beach front hotel.
Mountain – Trail running to waterfalls & mountain tops, climbing trees, rappelling waterfalls & rocks, rock climbing, sunrise flow yoga & restorative candle light yoga mediation, natural spa activities, hammock relaxing time, connection with yourself, others and nature and plenty of time for relaxation.We will even experience an overnight in a mountain hut and experience sun rise from one of the tallest mountains in Costa Rica
Beach – Additional runs, surfing, visiting Uvita national park, slack lining, stand up paddling & beach time!
February 17th-23rd 2019 (14 spots available)
For avid trail runners with a previous running and fitness base who are looking to take their passion for running to another country and run trails they never have before. For those who want to spend a week in paradise with Jen Segger and the Run Like a Girl team. For trail runners who are looking to get away from the craziness of everyday life, relax deeply, recharge fully and challenge yourself to try new things in one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. For runners wanting to take a week to learn how to run and race stronger, recover better and experience some new things.
Challenge yourself, step outside your comfort zone, experience personal growth and try new things. If you want to disconnect from the outside world, get your feet dirty and reconnect with nature. If you want to connect with yourself and others on a deeper level. If you want to experience a truly unique and unforgettable experience at a private, eco mountain lodge that you won’t experience in any other way. If you want to travel with a purpose, to give a true gift to yourself, to give time back to a impoverished community, and spend a week having very little impact on mother earth.
Men and women are both welcome!!
Day 1: Arrival at Chakra
- Please be ready in the lobby of the Aloft hotel for a 6am pick up. From there we will travel onward to San Jeronimo.
- Please wear active wear and your trail shoes as we are running the 5km to the lodge.
- Please bring a day pack because all of your luggage will be traveling in a separate car to Chakra Lodge since we make a stop in San Jeronimo for our coffee tour early afternoon.
- When we arrive in San Jeronimo, we will connect with the local community and start our coffee tour. If you are a coffee lover, you will grow a serious appreciation for your cup of joe!
- We will have a small, home cooked snack before starting our run.
- The 5km run is on a rural dirt road with 400m/1300ft elevation gain. It is a steep and challenging run, so power hiking is okay! (Don’t worry, all your luggage will have been already delivered to the lodge, you just need to carry in your day pack!)
- When we arrive at Chakra Lodge we will meet our local guide and continue our run onto a unique view point of the lodge where we will learn about where we are.
- We will then return to the lodge and settling you into your rooms.
- Our first yoga class will take place at 5:30-6:30: Restorative yoga and mediation
- Dinner will follow
- After dinner will we have time to relax and talk about the activities for the next day.
Day 2: Exploring the San Miguel Valley
- We will start our morning with Sunrise flow yoga, 6:00-7:00am
- Breakfast to follow: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
- We will start our 16km, 1200m/2300ft elevation gain run. Before hitting the single track we will do a session of up and down hill running techniques
- The trail is technical and steep in places but there are lots of opportunities to take photos of the waterfalls! We will also have some time to practice technical running techniques!
- We will have lunch back at the lodge
- Our afternoon will be free time to explore, relax by the river, swim in the waterfall pool, shower, relax in hammocks, read… this is your time!
- Evening yoga: 5:30-6:30 Restorative yoga and mediation
- Dinner will follow
- Free time after dinner to relax and discuss the next days activities.
Day 3: Adventure and Mountain Sunset
- We will begin our day with sunrise flow yoga at 6:00am – 7:00am
- Breakfast: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
- Please be ready to leave for our Chakra play ground at 8:30 so we can take full advantage of our adventure day!
- Once at the top of the waterfall we split the group in half.
- Half will start with rappelling, half with tree climbing
- We supply everyone with harnesses, gloves, rappelling devices and helmets
- Once everyone has rappelled the waterfall we return to the lodge for lunch.
- We will now get ready for our overnight run so pack up your stuff in your fast-packing bag and be ready to leave around 3pm!
- We will get to the hut on Ena as the sun is setting Here we will be met by a cooking staff team where hot drinks and a warm meal will be provided!!
- We will sleep early tonight as we will be up before sunrise tomorrow to summit the mountain!
Day 4: Sunrise on the Mountain
- We will be up at 4am. Get your packs ready and turn your headlamps on, we are heading to the summit before the sunrises
- Breakfast will be trail food
- We will aim to hit the summit just as the first light is coming up. It is about 2km to the summit from the hut
- Once we have enjoyed the sunset and taken all our selfies, it is time to head through Los Paseos de Los Indios, and incredible section of tropical alpine single track.
- Electrolytes are important as the day can get hot & humid. Please bring your own but we will also have some. (We will go over nutrition and hydration in detail the night before.)
- We will then start making our way down the mountain, stopping at various view points along the way.
- When we reach Tiger Rock, we can opt in for an extra summit, depending on energy levels!
- We will make it down to the lodge by lunch time and lunch will be ready for us!
- The rest of the afternoon will be workshops on running, recovery, fuelling and mobility.
- Before our final dinner at Chakra we will enjoy one last candle light restorative yoga class.
Day 5: From Mountain to Beach
- Sunrise flow Yoga at 6:30-7:30am (Since we will be sore from Ena, this will be a very relaxed class)
- Breakfast: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
- Pack up and leave camp (We do ask that you bring down your bedding to the main platform but our staff will take down the rest!)
- We will run out from the Lodge back to San Jeronimo to complete our community project and then get back in our bus.
- Our luggage will be driven down the bus while we hike.
- The drive to Dominical beach is approx. 2.5 hours
- We will check into the Duiwak hotel and everyone can settle into their rooms
- This is a free afternoon for you to explore the town and the beach. There are local shops, delicious resturants and vendors along the beach to buy souvenirs and awesome things! The beach is beautiful. If you have surfing experience, you can rent a board!
- Please note that todays lunch and dinner are not included but we will make recommendations!
Day 6: Nauyaca Waterfalls
- You may have breakfast on your own time. It is continental at the hotel.
- Please be ready to leave hotel at 8:00am. The heat of the beach is much hotter than the mountains, we want to start early!
- We will shuttle to the Nauyaca Waterfall trail head and start the 14km run to the incredible 2 level waterfall! We will have plenty of time to relax and swim in the incredible pools!
- We will then shuttle back to Domincal to have a group lunch!
- Option to try surf lessons (not included) in the afternoon.
- We will enjoy one last sunset on the beach!
- We will have dinner and hopefully some dancing!
- Group farewells
Day 7: Farewell
- We will have already coordinated shuttles back to San Jose based on everyone’s flight times.
- We offer two free shuttles back to the airport. Please make sure you email us your departure time!
- Flights after 12:00pm work best for shuttles.
- Breakfast at the hotel, continental
- Morning beach/relaxing time if you have a later flight
For anyone wanting to stay longer or come earlier:
Please email Eduardo@realcostaricavacations.com for other activities, accommodations and information.
This retreat is open exclusively to those with previous trail running experience, no beginners please. Men and women are both welcome! We will learn tips and tricks to better our trail running. Learn about nutrition, race day fueling and recovery and practice some strength and mobility techniques. We will also include restorative yoga so we can have time to relax!
REGISTER FOR THIS RETREAT!
This incredible experience is $2365.00 USD which includes:
- All transportation in Costa Rica
- Staying at a private, Eco lodge nestle between two national parks
- All Food at Chakra, 3 daily home cooked meals and snacks
- All Accommodations
- All of the scheduled activities
- All gear use
- Local guides
- Jen Segger expertise and advice
- Run Like A Girl expertise and advice
- Daily yoga classes with a certified yoga instructor
- Yoga mat use
- Lessons on all activities
- A community service project
- Guided coffee tour
- Most meals during beach portion
- National Park entrance fee
- All workshops and technique training
- Airport shuttle upon departure
IS THIS RETREAT FOR YOU?
- You must be an experienced trail runner. You don't need to be fast but being an Intermediate runner for this would be great.
- You must be able to hold yourself on the trails. Our final long run is a true mountain run where we will go above 3000m and may be on our feet for 8 hours.
- You want to come trail run in Costa Rica with Jen Segger and the Run Like a Girl team.
- You want to push and challenge yourself and run on technical, incredibly beautiful trails in a different country.
- You want to step off the grid and away from the craziness of life and spend a week at an eco-lodge in the mountain.
- You are okay with getting muddy, dirty and sweaty.
- You want to learn how to become a better runner and learn from a true professional on how to do it.
Canadian adventure athlete Jen Segger has been running and racing for over 10 years. Her experience outside is second to none through many miles of adventure racing and training… this lady knows what she is talking about! She has been guiding outside for 5 years and has a huge wealth of knowledge to share about running, recovery, training and trail techniques! Come away a better, smarter runner in just one week with Jen!
Members from the Run Like a Girl team will also be there. All of our staff are hand picked, experienced and personable. They always go that extra mile to make you have an incredible time!
- We have two local cooks for all your meals and Chakra
- The camp will be fully set up and took down by our staff (you just get to relax and have fun)
- We have two local Costa Rica guides
- Jen Segger and part of the Run Like a Girl will be there
- We have a certified yoga instructor
- We provide yoga mats and essentials
- Mosquito nets and sleeping mats are provided, please bring your own sleeping bag
- Platforms have roofs and three walls
- We have a gas stove
- Local, handmade essential oils will be used during yoga and available to purchase
- No service or wifi
- No electricity
- Hot showers, flush toilets, and sinks with water
- All of us are first-aid and CRP-C trained, Eduardo has first-responder wilderness first-aid training
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- Clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
- running shoes, hiking shoes
- clothing essentials
- a hydration pack (1.5L minimum please)
- snacks, granola bars etc, sport food you like
- camera (waterproof good idea)
- sunscreen, bug spray etc.
- sleeping bag or bedding blanket and pillow
- trekking poles (optional)
- swim suit
- optional to bring own yoga mat (we do supply)
- yoga clothes
- Shoes to wear around camp (crocs, sandals, boots)
- First night of hotel upon arrival to Costa Rica at the Aloft Hotel (we require everyone to come the night before as the retreat starts early the next morning)
- Your flight
- Bringing your own additional snack foods
- Spending money for souvenirs etc.
- 1 dinner and 1 lunch during the beach portion
When and where
7 days/6 nights
February 17 - 23rd, 2019
Eco-lodge nestled between 2 national parks in the mountains of Costa Rica, Chirripo National Park and La Amistad International Park
*14 Spots Available*
$2365 + tax USD